Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Bucket List

A few months ago my daughter asked me to send her my Bucket List.  I said I would...no problem...you'll get it in just about ten minutes.  So off I went to the computer, typed in her e-mail and I was ready to type.  The only problem was, my fingers did not move!  And my brain....it seemed to be in shock at the very thought of a Bucket List.  Hmmmm!  Had I forgotten my dreams with the passing of time.  What were they?  Where did they go?  I sat there staring at the computer monitor...for atleast 30 minutes.  Nothing....Nothing came to mind.

I decided to walk away and get started with my work day.  While I worked, she sent me text messages and e-mails asking when I was going to send it.  Ugh!  I don't her I just wasn't quite done with it!

Throughout the day, I asked the people I met along the way what their dreams had been in life and had they reached them.  And it seemed they had the same stories...one right after the other.  They couldn't remember....their lives got to busy to even tap into them.  So I wasn't alone.  That felt a bit better that I wasn't alone in this situation.

When I got home from work, I went on a walk.  Still thinking about the bucket list.  And then I told myself that when I'm done with the walk, I will definitely send the bucket list.  So, again, I sat down at the computer and this time I DID type my bucket list and hit the send button.   She called me shortly after and said she got it and she loved it!  I didn't though.

As time went by, I'd pull up the Bucket List to remind myself of the things I had listed.  I'd look at it and think...this is just not touching my heart.   These weren't really my dreams....at least I don't think so!

And then, one weekend, as I watched my entire family, including my two little grandsons, construct an amazing play structure in our backyard...working hard, yet laughing and sharing stories of growing up, I saw it...my dream.  My dream was right there in front of me.  It had been in front of me for over thirty years.  I had what I always wanted and wished for...I had it all along....it wasn't a long list of things...it was only one....this family of mine.  A family that I loved being around and that loved being around me and together...Who loved be at home... I just hadn't clicked those ruby red tennis shoes together to realize I had it all along.  A dream come true.

There's no place like home...
Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment